Different Types of Tongue in Homoeopathy | TONGUE classification according to CONDITION and REMEDIES
You can change your world by changing your words. Remember, death and life are in the power of the tongue.
We show you Best Tongue Examination homeopathy, with the help of Tongue Body Texture, Size, Color and Moistness but we do not treat the disease, rather the diseased person is treated by a holistic approach. The diseases are the dynamic morbid phenomena which are not different entities, but a continuous procedure in the life of an individual, in which the miasmas get blended and evolved and finally affect the vital organs. The internal morbid process is expressed by means of abnormal sensations and functions followed by the appearance of structural changes. Here the peculiar signs and symptoms will characterize the individual. That is why the individualization is the sole mean for prescription. Hence, the peculiar nature of the individual should be perceived by taking the totality by exact observation and correct interpretation.
We should take good Tongue care. Simply looking at one pathological ailment and prescription does not come under the sphere of Homeopathy. However, some uncharacteristic signs on the body can be helpful for the differential remedial diagnosis. Here the nature of tongue can be taken in to consideration along with other characteristic signs. However, it should be kept in mind that over-importance to one particular sign or symptom may not be always truthful. Hence, need not expect a mapped tongue in all Natrum mur patients, and all patients with mapped tongue may not be Natrum mur.
The tongue normally remains soft, moist and rosy with slimy, colourless saliva coating. Even though there is slimy saliva coating, it will not be realised unless one loses and gets his tongue dry. Tongue saliva coat is also felt when saliva is thick. Any insistent, abnormal tongue colour or coating usually reflects chronic persisting sicknesses. Change in tongue colour, texture and coating can occur any time with or without taste alterations. Usually, the rough look of the tongue is provided by papillae. When it gets atrophied or grows more, the problem gets started in the tongue, i.e. atrophy of papillae causes smooth glistening tongue which indicates ulcers / glossitis, overgrowth of papillae will attract infection and coating due to deposits of food particles or infective germs.
The discolouration of tongue can occur in various diseases especially with anaemia, glossitis, lichen planus, syphilis, leukaemia, etc. and can classify according to Peculiar appearance of tongue.
One needs to be cautious if the tongue is pale, blue and white since pale indicates lack of blood, blue indicates lack of oxygen and white indicates dead cells and sloughing (indication of cancer or AIDS)
Tongue colour may turn-
- Pale – in case of anaemia, poor nutrition,vitamin deficiencies, Pain in tongue, poor blood circulation or any chronic illness.
- Reddish – in case of infection, inflammation and ulcerations (glossitis). It also occurs in malnutrition, pellagra (Vit B3 deficiency – niacin), betel chewing
- Yellow – in case of jaundice, smoking
- Blue – cyanosis (lungs and heart ailments)
- Purple – cyanosis (lungs and heart ailments)
- Brown – in case of end stage of life with diseases.
- White Tongue – in case of coating, dehydration, fungal infection, leucoplakia, lichen planus,
- Strawberry Tongue – in case of scarlet fever,Kawasaki disease.
- Black – in case of lichen planus, fungal infection.
Mapped tongue –
It is also called as Geographic tongue. In this condition,Sensitive tongue seems to be coated in patch due to scalding (due to ulcers) of some areas. It may be smooth in some parts, rough in some parts, reddish in some parts, white in some parts and yellow in some parts. The infected parts will be red in its edges. The patchy, infected areas get joined in some areas to look like a geographic map and so it named thus.
The coating of tongue commonly occurs in many disease conditions with poor appetite. For example, in case of flu or cold, it gets coated white. Sometimes, it may look dirty with grey coating. Traditionally, persistent coating of tongue is thought to indicate liver, spleen and stomach disorders. Anyhow, it can also be present without any reason or disease.
Causes – The causes for tongue discolouration and coating are in abundant. The most common are
- Poor oral hygiene
- Unhygienic foods and nutritional deficiencies
- Reduced blood volume or supply
- Infections and inflammations (bacterial or fungal or viral)
- Chemical reactions from added preservatives and colouring pigments
- Strong chemical toothpaste or mouthwash.
- Very hot drinks or foods (which can cause scalding)
- Foods containing excess spices, salt and chillies, likewise sour foods or fruits or juices too
- Habit of smoking, tobacco chewing and drinking large quantities of alcohol
- Drugs – especially while using heavy antibiotics and pain-killers repeatedly
- Treatments given for weakened immune system (chemotherapy, radiation therapy, strong chemical drugs, etc. especially in the case of AIDS, cancer and auto immune disorders)
According to homoeopathic concept, external applications / treatment / washes are usually condemned. there are It believes in internal treatment which provides treatment on the whole in fact, Homeopathy, unlike other systems of medicines, doesn’t concentrate in just healing the spot or treating the patient in parts, i.e., Homeopathy cares for disease symptoms and patient symptoms. Homeopath medicine for TONGUE DIAGNOSIS treats the patient at the root and eradicates diseases effectively by raising the immune level. Usually, the coating responds quickly with treatment whereas discolouration will take some time to respond. Anyhow, starting of proper treatment will arrest its spread.
In Homeopathy, there are lots and lots of medicines for tongue discolouration, coating and disorders. The right simillimum medicine will act to the core of the disease and clear tongue problems simultaneously. Even in case of incurable diseases, where the cause is unknown, Homeopathy can treat the patient in a better way with tongue indications and characteristic symptoms of patients. For example:
- Red patches in the tongue – Nat sulph
- Strawberry tongue – Belladonna, Fragaria V, etc.
- Tongue smooth and glossy, shiny – Causticum, Terebinth, Kali Bich, etc.
- Tongue smooth, red and cracked – kali bich
- Red on margin – Plumbum met
- Red in tip – Rhus tox
- Red and glossy – Acid nit, Cantharis, Nat mur,
- Red streaks in centre – Antim crud, Verat alb,
- Red streak in middle of yellow coated tongue – veratrum veride, etc.
- Yellow tongue – Chelidonium, Kali sulf, Merc proto iodide, Nat phos, Bryonia, etc.
- Dry and brown – Ailanthus, Anti tart, Ars alb, Bry, Baptisia, Lachesis, Rhus tox, etc.
- Pale tongue – Carbo veg, Cina, Ferrum met, Ipecac, Veratrum alb, Zinc met, etc.
- Brown in centre – Baptisia, Phosphorus, Secale cor, Vipera, etc.
- Blue tongue – China, Ipecac, Lachesis
- Purple tongue – Digitalis, Echinacea, Lachesis, Merc cor, etc.
- Black tongue – crocus sativus, Muriatic acid, opium, Secale cor
- Clean anterior and coated posterior – Nux vom
- Furred tongue – Antim crud, Arg nit, Bry, Carbo veg.
- White coating in the tongue – Antim crud, Causticum, China, Mercury, Nat mur, Puls, Thuja, etc.
- Yellow coating in base of the tongue – Iodium, Merc pro, Nat phos, Taraxacum, etc.
- Oil paint like glistening coating in the tongue – Ars alb
- Mapped tongue – Ars alb, Lachesis, Nat mur, Nitric acid, Taraxacum, etc.
- Sensation of hair in tongue – Nat mur, silicea, etc.
- Moist tongue with excessive thirst – Mercurius, etc.
- Dry tongue with excessive thirst – Bryonia
- Dry tongue without thirst – Pulsatilla, Nux mos, etc.
- Diabetes mellitus
- Enteric fever
- Secondary syphilis
- HIV infection
- Acute illness
Sources: Images of tongue from www.ijdvl.com
Dr. Kranti Kumar
MD 2nd Part
Naiminath Homoeopathic Medical College
Hospital & Research Centre, Agra